December 3, 2010

A Window's Default Size

One of my biggest pet peeves is when, after switching resolutions, your windows' sizes become too small to work with. This is particularly bothersome in Media Player, Outlook, Visual Studio, and Zune. So I wrote the following registry script to reset them to their default sizes.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"XV11"=-
"YV11"=-
"WidthV11"=-
"HeightV11"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Office Explorer]
"Frame"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0]
"MainWindow"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Zune\Shell]
"WindowPosition"=-
"NormalWindowPosition"=-

Basically, it just deletes the windows' saved sizes so that the next time you launch the application, it will be how it was the first time you ran it. If you want to use the script, save it to a .reg file and run it. You can also open up regedit and manually delete the values if you want.

2 comments :

Brice Lambson said...

I'm not sure if anyone else will find my obsessive-compulsive habbits helpful, but there it is just in case. :)

Unknown said...

Hey Brice, need an update on a resizer for my new window 7. found you, Thanks. just finished telly my 10yr old son (Bryce) about learning computer language. your photo looks like you have red hair. all three of my kids have red hair as well. great people. have to ask if you offer website services for small working class. let me know. thanks. Paul.